I saw this awesome “Summer Bucket List” on Pinterest the other day and it instantly reminded me of the “Big Fat Summer Challenge” I did a couple of years ago. What an adventure that was?! Wow! It seems so long ago, yet like yesterday as well. Time is a funny thing that way. That challenge really pushed me out of my comfort zone when it comes to fashion, visibility and my own comfort level. I struggled with some things and others, well, I just had fun with. That is what I hope this challenge/list does for you!
While I love the Summer Bucket List and all of it’s whimsy, I simply can’t do a cartwheel anymore. It is a source of much sadness because it is something that has always given me great pleasure and I spent so much of my childhood just doing cartwheels anywhere I possibly could. The last time I attempted one I injured myself pretty bad and that is something I am trying to avoid at all costs as of late. I encourage you to do all of the lovely things on that Summer Bucket List that you are able or have access to. There are a few things on there that I simply would never want to do, though. Have fun with it! That is the most important thing, I think.
My Summer Bucket List for Rad Fatties is inspired by my own struggles, challenges, friends, experiences and hopes for all the fatties of the world. I have seen some things, y’all, and I hope that you can see such things in your lives, too! Ideally, we would do this together, once a week, discuss and share and laugh and live it up! We can do it on this blog’s Facebook Page and keep the ball rolling by sharing with our FB friends, too! I would love to have some sort of Prize or Giveaway at the end of this (suggestions very welcome), I will look into that, but for now I hope the pleasure and experience of just doing it will keep you going…I know it did for me!
This is a point-based challenge. Each item on this list will receive 10 points. For items with “Extra Points” you will receive 5 additional points plus any discretionary points I deem necessary for creativity, bad assery or what have you. Items must be completed after this posting and anything you’ve done in the past will not be accepted. You do not have to do them all, but since it’s “all about the points” it helps. I will announce what the prize/giveaway is soon. You must be able to prove you’ve done the item somehow. If you’re not willing to share on the blog or Facebook page, you can email directly to me your photos and links. Feel free to share and re-blog/link to this challenge.
- Take a picture of yourself with your most hated “flaw” showing proudly (double chin, moles, pimples, squishy cheeks…you name it!) extra points for silly faces, multi-shots and positive messages about your “flaw”
- Tank Top Tuesday!!! C’mon! We all know and love it, why not do it?! Submit your TTT picture with your name, fatty philosophy and anything you’d care to plug to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DO a fashion Don’t! What have you always been told not to wear? WEAR IT WITH PRIDE!
- Go sleeveless in public, yo! For reals! The first time I did this I felt so naked and raw…but then caught the eye of another rad fatty and we both just knew! We were bad asses and fat asses…always a winning combo!
- Eat in public. It doesn’t matter what you eat or where you eat it, so long as you do it and document it somehow (get creative/silly with this one)
- Dance! Shake your booty, get down, get funky, get loose! Move your body in a fun way and let go of any feelings of awkwardness, shame, guilt, fear, etc…you deserve to feel great when you move your body! Extra points if you go to a fatty dance party or host one of your own (Skype and Google hangouts are great for online fatty dance parties!)
- Take a picture of your belly! Just do it! You don’t have to share it if you’re not ready, but do it and you’ll be surprised by how much you like looking at it (now or later). I recently swapped belly pics with a reader of this blog because we both have scars/etc and felt weird before. I trusted them to not share and I would never share anything that was in confidence…I would gladly do this with you if you’re willing to. 🙂
- Write a list of things you love about your fat body! No judgments! Just good things! DO NOT write an accompanying list of things you don’t like, not allowed!!!
- See how many minutes, hours, days, weeks you can go without making any disparaging remarks about your body. If you go a full day? Treat yourself!
- Self-care! Set aside 30-60 minutes to do something extra nice and special for yourself. Do a mud mask, pedicure, hair treatment, relaxing lay-on-your-bed-and-not-think/worry-time, enjoy a gentle breeze or listen to the trees…something that gives you pleasure and feels healing/needed.
- Reach out to your favorite blogger/fatty/artist! I have been so inspired and delighted whenever I reach out to people of the web. I now call some incredible people my friends because of it. Do it!
- Eat something you previously (or currently) considered taboo/evil/etc. Take your first bite and sit with it a moment and just relish in that moment. Don’t allow or engage another thought in your mind. Just enjoy! Extra points for sharing your story about this item of indulgence and snapping a pic!
- Do something fat people “aren’t allowed” to do. You know, like anything at all ever! Ha-ha!
- Speak up when someone puts fatties down! You don’t have to be rude about it, just lay out some facts and let it go. You’re not there to change the hearts and minds of the world, but you have the right to speak up and out for anything near and dear to you. Share what transpired here! 🙂
- Make or buy a Fatkini! Join the Fatkini Mafia! Extra points for sharing your pics, links, stories and patterns!
- Read “Health At Every Size” by Linda Bacon PHD. (Kindle version now only $1.99!!!) Extra points for sharing your favorite or most thought provoking sections here!
- Wear something you’ve previously said, “I’d never wear…” about! For me that was dresses! Ha-ha! Now look at me! I’m an Eshakti-a-holic! Extra points for sharing your story and pics.
- Buy or make a “Yay! Scale!” Extra points for bringing it to work or a public space of any sort. And seriously? We want pics! They rock!
- Rock something with the word “Fat” on/in it! I have my Fat Necklace that I rock on the regular and always love the reactions I get. You could make your own, a button or a t-shirt…whatever! Just wear it loud and proud! (If you’d like some assistance tracking down custom items/sellers on etsy or ebay hit me up, I’m a pro!) Extra points if you share a pic of what you wore and share any reactions you received.
- Stop judging yourself and others! Stop reading celebrity gossip and reading those magazines or watching TMZ! Stop critiquing yourself and others, too. What we wear and do with our lives is our own choice and business. Let it go and you’ll be a happier and healthier and more fabulous YOU! Extra Points? This is the best reward in and of itself, but okay, extra points if you share your stories, struggles and share how you celebrate and are your most authentic self!
**Bonus items: 20 points!
**Get a friend to measure you or host a measuring party! Do not attempt to take your own measurements. Take each others measurements and celebrate this moment of fatty bonding! Woo! Now you can order custom items from Eshakti.com, too! <3
**Host a fatty meet up! Put the word out on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Craigslist, LiveJournal or wherever and meet other cool fats and have fun! It could be social, it could be a clothing swap…doesn’t matter…just do it!
**Organize some Fat Activism! Get that “Yay! Scale” out and set up somewhere public and invite passerby to “Yay!” themselves! Or for something more subversive, put HAES fliers on cars outside a local diet center. “Lose the hate not the weight!” Ha! (contact me for suggestions, resources and links.)
**Come out as fat and fearless! Do not allow others to insist “but you’re not fat” let them know you are and it’s okay, it’s only a descriptor! Share your story/pics/etc for the points.
**Introduce a friend or fellow fatty to Fat Acceptance/Liberation! Give the gift of HAES or let them in on your awesome fatty secrets!
I know that’s a lot! You don’t have to do them all (or any of them, I suppose). But it should be fun and challenging! Hit me up with questions/concerns/etc. I am so excited for this and can’t wait to do some of these myself (even if I can’t win the prize, ha-ha!).